December 14, 2007 11:11 AM
This is a list of some of the coolest Flex / AIR applications and demos that I came across while scouring the web.
- tileUI, tileUI on dougmccune (Bumptop in Flex)
- AIR iPhone
- Outsmart Labs 3D Engine Demo
- TinyMe (AIR application that generates a tinyurl when you drag and drop a url into it)
- Chart DrillDown Animation
- DisplayShelf (Apple's cover flow in Flex), CoverFlow on dougmccune
- Landscape Zoomer
- MXNA RSS Reader by Doug
- Poly9 FreeEarth
- Flex Store
- Flex 3 Network Monitor
- Flex Dashboard
For more applications check out the Flex Showcase.
Once you look at the links, you'll probably realize that building this sort of a rich UI experience is totally different from writing a page based HTML UI. The UI layout, flow and design is so drastically different that if a hardcore Java guy develops in Flex for the first time, it's going to look like a Java application done in flex; not like a proper Flex application. The Designing for Flex devnet article is a good read to get started on doing Flex applications the right way.
In general Flex/AIR news, Beta 3 is out. Some of the changes that AIR developers will have to face is nicely documented here.